The (#21) Texas Tech men's tennis team rebounded from their Oklahoma road trip with a hard fought win Saturday against (#18) Oklahoma State.
The Red Raiders capitalized on the doubles point in the close contest. Junior Issac Arevalo and Sophomore Reed Collier prevailed in their match with a win (7-6), but more importantly, a point for their team. With an early 1-0 lead Tech was poised to continue their fight.
Singles play looked promising with Junior Ilgiz Valiev taking the first point for the Red Raiders in a 7-6, 6-2 decision. Junior Dimitrios Azoidis made his mark with a 7-5, 6-4 victory. Tech had a slight lead at 3-2 with two singles matches headed to a third set. Junior Franco Ribero was the last man standing with the scoreboard locked at three. After winning the first set 6-4 and losing in the second set 4-6, Ribero fought to a third set tiebreaker where he finished off the Cowboys.
Saturday marked the first victory for the Red Raiders men's tennis team against Oklahoma State since 2014.
Up Next: The Red Raider will continue conference play as they travel to Waco, Texas to take on the Baylor Bears on Saturday April 10.
Texas Tech 4, Oklahoma State 3
1. Matej Vocel (OSU) def. Parker Wynn (TXTECH) 6-2, 6-3
2. Iligiz Valiev (TXTECH) def. Emile Hudd (OSU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
3. Franco Ribero (TXTECH) def. Henrik Korsgaard (OSU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (10-8)
4. Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) def. Reed Collier (TXTECH) 6-4, 6-4
5. Dimitrios Azoidis (TXTECH) def. Dominik Kellovsky (OSU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Etienne Donnet (OSU) def. Issac Arevalo (TXTECH) 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
Doubles Competition 1. Matej Vocel and Henrik Korsgaard (OSU) def. Parker Wynn and Franco Ribero (TXTECH) 6-2
2. Issac Arevalo and Reed Collier (TXTECH) def. Emile Hudd and Dominik Kellovsky (OSU) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Iligiz Valiev and Dimitrios Azoidis (TXTECH) def. Etienne Donnet and Mathieu Scaglia (OSU) 6-3
Order of finish: Singles -- 1 4 5 2 6 3 ; Doubles -- 1 3 2